Skip to Content

KWD remains committed to keeping the water flowing into your homes and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic. More Info


Start/Stop Service


If you already have a service line running from the water main in the road into your building, you may apply for water service.

If there is no service line in place, you must first contact our Engineering Department by calling (207) 872-2763.  Do not submit a water service application until directed by the Engineering Department.

Applying for water service can be done in one of the following ways:

  1. Complete and submit KWD’s online application; or
  2. Visit our business office at 6 Cool Street in Waterville

 Information you will need to complete your application

  • The physical address of where you will receive service
  • The name, address and contact information of the building owner, if you do not own the building
  • Driver’s license or other government issued ID for individuals
  • Documentation containing your employer identification number (EIN) for businesses (excluding W-9)

Additional information regarding your water service account can be found at the following:

Welcome to the KWD letter

Residential Backflow and Thermal Expansion information page

KWD Terms and Conditions 

Sewer Billing for Your Home or Business

Your sewer bill (if applicable) is provided by either the Waterville Sewerage District or the Towns of Winslow, Fairfield, Vassalboro, or Benton, not the Kennebec Water District.

However, when you complete your application for water service, we will share your billing information with the appropriate entity to so a sewer account can be setup, if needed.

NOTE: Sewer bills are only sent to the property owner, not to tenants.


To stop water service, please call KWD’s business office at (207) 872-2763 or visit us at 6 Cool Street in Waterville.